Friday, May 26, 2006

New Resolve & Montenegro

I'm coming to the conclusion that worthy and all as it is to concentrate on one or two research projects at a time, it's preventing me from posting about other aspects of global geopolitics that I'm interested in. Therefore, I'm going to loosen things up a little, and post a bit more off my main research topics.

In that vein, I'm watching the separation of Montenegro from Serbia with great interest. I'm finding it fascinating, too, that the word Balkanization (the American spelling seems more used) is still most useful here in the area of its origin.

I'm not sure if this is the first peaceful secession in my lifetime, but it's certainly the first I'm paying attention to. I note in particular from the maps that this leaves Serbia with no sea-ports, which is definitely interesting - I wonder how much of their import/export trade comes in by air or on the Danube?

1 Comments:

At Friday, May 26, 2006 4:47:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Czech Republic and Slovakia would have been a secession as well, in that they both seceded from each other.

Interestingly, the two are related, as Yugoslavia is really a modern state brought together by Tito, back in the days of the Eastern Bloc. Tito dying in 1980's brought the centuries old ethnic conflicts he had managed to supress back to the surface.

Nice to see you back! I'll have to get back too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home